Payment Options - Undergraduate

Welcome to Gardner-Webb University. We are honored that you have chosen GWU to further your education and offer this synopsis of financial information to aid the transition into your studies.

Each semester the Gardner-Webb University Student Accounts Office will provide an online bill for each student detailing charges (tuition, housing, meal plan, fees, etc.) and anticipated credits (grants, scholarships, loans, etc.). For registered students, the Student Bill generally becomes available for review about three weeks prior to the beginning of the semester. Later registrants may expect to see their Student Bill within a matter of minutes of enrolling into classes. After reviewing the bill, questions regarding charges should be directed to the Student Accounts Office (704.406.4287). Questions regarding financial aid should be directed to the Financial Planning Office (704.406.4243).

Please note: The deadline for making payment in full or enrolling in a Deferred Payment Plan is the last day of the month in which the classes begin. The exact due day will be provided via the Student Bill each semester.

Accessing Your Online Bill

Charges are reflected on the left side of the Student Bill while anticipated credits are shown on the right side.  The Account Balance reflects the amount for which the student is personally responsible for.  The Current Amount Due may be less than the Account Balance if a payment plan has been established.

Additional links, including Insurance Waiver Form, Make a Payment, Deferred Payment Plan, Direct Deposit Refund Sign-up, etc. may appear at the bottom of the Student Bill

Payment Methods

Payments may be made via the following methods:

  • Cash, check, or money order payable to Gardner-Webb University may be presented in person at the Student Accounts Office within the Student Services Suite on the lower level of the Dover Campus Center.  Payments may also be mailed to GWU Student Accounts, PO Box 7324, Boiling Springs NC 28017.  Please include the student ID number with all payment correspondence.
  • Electronic check (eCheck) payments may be made online via WebbConnect. 
  • MasterCard, Visa, or Discover payments may be made online via WebbConnect or by calling the Student Accounts Office at 704.406.4287, weekdays 8am - 5pm.  American Express payments may be made through WebbConnect.  For security purposes, card information is not retained and will need to be resubmitted for each payment.  *Please note that effective December 15, 2019, a service charge of 2.75% will be assessed on all domestic credit/debit card payments.  International card payments will be subject to a 4.25% service charge.
  • A link to enroll in the Deferred Payment Plan can be found at the bottom of the Student Bill.  Please print a copy of the payment plan details for your records before clicking Accept.

GWU Online Student Billing - Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I review my Student Bill? My parent pays my bill.
If you expect your parent/guardian to handle your financial affairs you will need to: (1) provide the parent/guardian with the username and password provided to you by Technology Services in order to access the online account; (2) complete the FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) permissions form located online under Maintain Information.

Why should I review my Student Bill? I have financial aid.
Verify that the charges and the anticipated credits are the amounts you are expecting. Please note that approved student loans typically are not disbursed to the University until several weeks into the semester. Students should continue to periodically review the bill until all monies have been received and the balance for the semester has been fully resolved. Specific questions regarding financial aid should be directed to the Financial Planning Office (704.406.4243).

I have excess financial aid. When may I expect my refund?
Refunds typically become available approximately 10-14 days after aid monies or other payments in excess of the semester's charges have been received.  Refund checks are normally mailed to the student's home address that is on file with the Registrar's Office. For accounts with a parent PLUS loan, the check will be in the name of the parent and mailed to the home address.

May I charge my textbooks to my student account?
Generally students may not charge textbooks to the student account. The only exception is when a student qualifies for, and accepts, excess financial aid. In that case, a credit balance will appear on the student's account. Essentially, an undergraduate student may charge textbooks to his or her account if there is a credit balance. The student may charge textbooks in the Campus Shop by presenting the student ID card at the Campus Shop register. The card will be swiped at the register and textbook charges will be applied to the student's account. An undergraduate student may also use a credit card/debit card and purchase his or her textbooks online.

My financial aid does not cover my bill in full. Do you offer a monthly payment plan?
The University makes available a Deferred Payment Plan to students who prefer to pay their semester balance in payments rather than in a lump sum at the beginning of the semester. This plan allows you to pay the balance due over a four-month period during the fall and spring semesters. A two-month payment plan is offered during the  summer sessions.

You may enroll in the Deferred Payment Plan by clicking on the link at the bottom of your Student Bill. The balance for which you are responsible will be broken into payments with amounts and due dates reflected. Please print a copy of the payment plan details for your records prior to clicking Accept.

The plan includes a $15 application fee and a nominal service fee of 2% on the deferred payments. Your student account will reflect the deferred payment arrangement the next business day and will be due by the last day of the month in which the semester begins.  Please note that failure to make payments per the agreement may result in late fees and additional interest charges.

All current indebtedness to the University must be satisfied before students will be permitted to register for future semesters.

Why do I have an insurance charge? I already have insurance coverage through a parent.
The University requires that each full-time, traditional undergraduate student have medical insurance coverage and an insurance charge is applied to all applicable student accounts. To waive the charge, click on the Insurance Waiver link at the bottom of the Student Bill. Complete the fields requesting the name of the insurance company, name of the policyholder, and the policy number. After submitting this information, you should receive a message  indicating you have successfully declined the insurance. The charge is instantaneously reversed from the bill. The wavier must be completed each year within the first week of the initial semester of attendance.

I assumed the tuition charge was inclusive. Why do I have other fees and course charges?
The full-time tuition rate applies for those enrolled in 10 to 18 semester hours of study. Registering for more than 18 hours results in an overload charge. Depending on your course of study, you may have required academic course fees such as a lab fee. Full-time students also incur a $120 per semester Student Activity Fee. Resident students are charged a $195 per semester Residential Student Amenities Fee as well as a $20 Residential Activity Fee per semester. Please refer to the undergraduate catalog online or in-print version for more detailed information on all fees/charges.

My address changed. How do I update my address for mailings?
Although much of the correspondence from the University will be to your assigned GWU e-mail address, it is important to ensure that your mailing address is updated as necessary through the WebbConnect portal via the Maintain Information - Address Change Form link.