Online Billing

Welcome to Gardner-Webb University. We are honored that you have chosen GWU to further your education and offer this synopsis of financial information to aid the transition into your studies.

Each semester the Gardner-Webb University Student Accounts Office will provide an online bill for each student detailing charges (tuition, fees, etc.) and anticipated credits (grants, loans, etc.). For students who are registered, the GWU online bill generally becomes available for review about three weeks prior to the first class of the semester. Later registrants may expect to see an online bill within a matter of days of enrollment. After reviewing the bill, questions regarding charges should be directed to the Student Accounts Office (704 406-4287); questions regarding financial aid should be directed to the Financial Planning Office (704 406-4243).

Please note: The deadline for making payment in full, or for completing all requirements for financial aid or a deferred payment plan, will always occur at the beginning of the semester by the end of the first full week of classes. The actual due date will be provided via the online bill each semester.

Accessing Your Online Bill

With the username and password provided to you by Technology Services, log on through the WebbConnectportal in the top left corner of the GWU homepage ( After accessing WebbConnect, click on the "Student Account" tab on the left, followed by "Online Bill."

The top portion of the billing page reflects your class schedule. The middle of the page includes charges to the left and anticipated credits to the right. Any remaining balance, indicating the amount for which the student remains personally responsible by the due date, is included below the charges section.

Additional links will be listed at the bottom of the online billing page including the deferred payment plan and a link for paying via credit or debit card.

Payment Methods

Any balance may be paid by the due date via one of the following methods:

Cash, check, money order or credit/debit card presented in person to the Student Accounts Office, first floor of Dover Campus Center (please include student ID number on check memo line).

Check or money order, payable to Gardner-Webb University, mailed to GWU Student Accounts Office, PO Box 7324, Boiling Springs NC 28017.

Credit or debit card (MasterCard, Visa, Discover, or American Express) via the online payment link at any time or by calling the Student Accounts Office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays at 704 406-4287. Please note that card info is not retained for security reasons. It will need to be resubmitted for each payment made via card.

Deferred payment plan to be found toward the bottom of the online bill. If charges and credits appear correct, click on the deferred payment link. (Print a copy of the plan before clicking on accept.) Submit the initial payment to the Student Accounts Office by the due date.

GWU Online Student Billing - Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I review my bill online? I have financial aid. 
GWU utilizes an online billing system; paper bills are mailed only if the student contacts the Student Accounts Office directly and specifically requests a hardcopy of the semester statement.

It is important to review the online E-awards/eligibility section of Student Financial Aid to ensure all requirements have been completed (loan applications, loan entrance counseling, signing of the master promissory note, etc.). It is also important to review the charges and anticipated credits on your online bill for accuracy, for balances owed, and for payment due dates.

Some students receiving financial aid are selected for "verification." Additional information required for the verification process, such as W2s or other tax documents, should be supplied by the student to the Financial Planning Office in a timely fashion at the beginning of the semester in order to avoid late fees.

Specific questions regarding financial aid/anticipated credits may be directed to the Financial Planning Office (704 406-4243); questions regarding charges, the online bill, or payments may be directed to the Student Accounts Office (704 406-4287).

May I charge my textbooks to my student account?
Graduate students may charge textbooks to their student account during the first three weeks of the semester. Visit the GWU home page ( then select "Student Life" at the top of the page, subsequently clicking on "student services" and "Campus Shop." The "textbook central" section will provide instructions regarding online orders as well as return/refund policies

If a student has sufficient financial aid, textbooks ordered online will be charged against the excess credit, reducing any anticipated refund for the student. For other graduate students who ordered textbooks online, the payment will be due approximately four weeks after the first class meeting.

I have excess financial aid. When may I expect my refund? 
Refunds typically become available approximately 10-14 days after aid monies or other payments have been received that pay in excess of the semester's bill. Refund checks normally are mailed to the student's home address that is on file with the Registrar's Office.

My address has changed. How do I update my address?
Much of the correspondence from the University will be to your assigned GWU e-mail address. However, it is important to ensure that your mailing address is updated as necessary through the WebbConnect portal via the "Personal Information - Address Change" link online.

How do I make use of my employer's tuition reimbursement program? 
Employer reimbursement is treated as a semester-by-semester contract and must be renewed each semester. Students may apply by downloading the two-page employer reimbursement policy/form at the lower left corner of the student's online bill. Fax the letter from the employer, indicating reimbursement specifics as noted in the policy guidelines, along with the signed individual form to the Student Accounts Office (fax 704 406-3055). Payment for the portion covered by employer reimbursement will be due to the University no later than three weeks after the end of the semester.

Do you offer a monthly payment plan? 
Tuition and fees are payable in full at registration; however, the University makes available a deferred payment plan to students who prefer to pay their semester's costs in payments rather than in a lump sum at registration. This plan allows you to pay the balance due over a four month period during the fall and spring semesters (a two-month payment plan is offered during the shorter summer sessions).

The deferred payment plan may be found under the "Use a Payment Plan" link at the bottom of your online bill. Click on the link and the balance for which you are responsible will be broken into payments with amounts and due dates reflected in a copy of the plan (student should print this copy prior to clicking on "accept" for future reference).

The plan includes a $15 application fee and a nominal service fee of 2-percent on the deferred payments. Your student account will reflect the deferred payment arrangement once you have actually made the first payment which will be due the first week of the semester.

Please note that failure to make payments per the agreement may result in late fees and additional interest charges. Unpaid balances are not carried over from one semester to another and all indebtedness to the University must be satisfied before students will be permitted to register for the next semester.

FERPA Consent Form

Log in to the WebbConnect portal; click on the "Maintain Information" tab; then choose "FERPA Consent Form;" enter the names of the people you would like to have access to your records. Check the appropriate boxes for academic records, financial aid records, and accounts (billing) records for each person you list.


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) refers to the requirement that students receiving financial aid enroll in and complete sufficient credits each term to complete their studies within a reasonable period of time as well as maintain an acceptable cumulative GPA. Gardner-Webb University is committed to ensuring that graduate and professional students are successful in completing their degree programs. Students who are not meeting the SAP criteria may be placed on financial aid probation and eventual suspension from receiving financial aid (including all types of financial aid).

Graduate and professional students must:

  1. Maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) that is equal to or greater than the graduation standards published by their program;

  2. Successfully complete a minimum of 67% of all hours attempted; and

  3. Complete their program of study by attempting no more than 150% of the hours normally required for the degree.

Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average

Graduate and professional students must maintain a cumulative GPA that is equivalent to the graduation standards published by their program.

Minimum Completion Rate

Students must satisfactorily complete 67% of all credits attempted.

Hours AttemptedHours Earned to Meet 67% Requirement


Maximum Timeframe

Graduate and professional students must complete their programs of study by attempting no more than 150% of the credits normally required for attainment of the degree.

For example, if a degree program can normally be completed with 50 credit hours, a student's financial aid eligibility will be suspended once the student has attempted 75 credit hours, whether the student has attained the degree or not.

Each graduate division determines the number of credits by which the student normally completes the degree. This information is available in the individual graduate program catalogs.

What happens if I fail to meet the minimum standards of academic progress?

  • If you have failed to meet one or both (quantitative or qualitative) of the minimum standards at the time of review (end of spring semester), you will be placed on financial aid probation and continue to receive aid during your semester of probation.
  • If you meet the minimum standards the subsequent semester, you will be placed back in good standing.
  • If you fail to meet one or both of the standards again in the subsequent semester, you will be placed on financial aid suspension. Financial Aid suspension means that you will no longer be eligible for any financial aid, including loans. In this case you will be notified in writing.

If my Financial Aid is suspended, how can I regain eligibility?

  • You can enroll for and attend a new semester without financial aid. You must however, enroll for the same number of credit hours as the semester which resulted in suspension. We will recheck your status at the end of the semester to see if you have regained financial aid eligibility.


  • If you feel there were mitigating circumstances (death of a family member, injury, illness, etc.), you may appeal the suspension. To request an appeal you must: Submit a letter of appeal to the Associate Director of Financial Planning requesting reinstatement. Your letter must include:
  • the reason(s) why satisfactory progress is not being made, with detail surrounding the mitigating circumstance
  • documentation which supports the rationale for the appeal

Once received, the Financial Aid Appeals Committee will notify the student in writing of their decision within 14 business days after the Committee meets and makes its determination. All decisions made by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee are final.

Return of Title IV Aid

Students withdrawing from Gardner-Webb University (GWU) prior to completing 60% of the semester will have their financial aid prorated.  A refund/repayment formula developed by the federal government is used to determine which sources of aid may be retained by the student.  The formula considers the number of days in the semester compared to the number of days the student attended classes.  Aid is "earned" based on the number of days the student was considered enrolled and disbursed accordingly.  It is entirely possible to withdraw and owe GWU a balance.

Please note if a student is determined by the Registrar's Office to have stopped attending classes during the semester they are considered an unofficial withdrawal.  Any financial aid received during the semester will be reduced accordingly.  If this occurs a student will be placed on financial aid suspension for the upcoming semester.