Guidelines for Transient Credit

Gardner-Webb University students may apply for transient credit if the following conditions are met. A student may obtain permission for concurrent enrollment if the student wants a guarantee for the credit to meet

a certain requirement or to be equivalent to a specific Gardner-Webb course. Otherwise, the form is not necessary.


  1. The academic standing of a Gardner-Webb University student for retention purposes cannot be improved by attendance at another institution.
  1. Credit will not be accepted for the following.
  1. Students not in good academic standing (i.e., students on probation or suspension).
  2. Students who attend institutions other than regionally-accredited colleges or universities.
  3. Students wishing to repeat a course in which a grade of “C-” or lower was made at Gardner- Webb. Once a course has been taken at Gardner-Webb University, a student may not receive transfer credit to replace the course.
  4. Students majoring in Biology and/or Chemistry taking a science course with an online lab.
  5. Students taking a natural science course that has a two-course sequence where the first course has an online lab.
  1. If a student has exceeded the transient credit limit (48 hours for the AS Degree in Nursing Program, 42 hours in the AA Degree in Graphic Design program, or 96 hours in a BS or BA degree program), fully completed "Request to Waive Transient Credit Limit" form must be submitted for approval by the appropriate Associate Provost.

  2. Credit may be transferred only for courses in which the student has earned a “C” (2.0) or better. The student must meet graduation requirements for the total number of hours required. See the TRANSFER CREDIT POLICY in the Academic Catalog concerning required number of hours allowed from a two-year college and a four-year college to count toward a bachelor’s degree from Gardner-Webb University.
  1. It is the responsibility of the student to request an official transcript from the host institution to be sent to Registrar Services at Gardner-Webb University immediately following completion of the course. It should be mailed to Sherri Jackson, Gardner-Webb University, P.O. Box 7323, Boiling Springs, NC 28017 or sent electronically to
  1. If the student is in the final term of study, the official transcript must be received from the host institution by the same deadline date as all grades for graduating seniors. This date is posted on the Academic Calendar. Transcripts not received by this date will delay the student’s graduation date.
  1. If the student completes the “Transient Credit Request” form, the form must be submitted before the last class day of the semester prior to the requested semester of study.
  1. Student must pay the processing fee. This fee is billed to the student account through the Student Accounts Office at Gardner-Webb University once the official transcript is received and credit has been issued. Please be advised that this is a processing fee and it is non-refundable.
  1. It is to the student’s benefit to register for the course before submitting the “Request to Recognize Transient Credit” form. This will allow for changes in the schedule without incurring additional processing fees.