Frequently Asked Questions About Advising

Every student has an advisor. The advisor is assigned at the time of Admission. The Admissions Recruiter will discuss classes for your first semester; however, changes may be necessary after your advisor reviews all coursework. Students who do not know who their advisor is can go through WebbConnect and click the "Show My Advisor" button or call the Advising Center.

How do I drop or add a class?

Students should check the website for dates pertaining to dropping, adding, and withdrawing from classes. All this information is found on the academic calendar. Students and advisors should make sure they are familiar with dates pertaining to these important terms:

  • Drop/Add Period - Students may drop or add courses themselves online during this time. This is the only time a student may ADD a class. Additionally, students may contact their advisor who can enter a drop or add for a student during this time period.
  • Withdrawal Period - Students may withdraw from a course by completing the form on the Registrar’s webpage. IMPORTANT: STUDENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR WITHDRAWING FROM CLASSES - ADVISORS DO NOT WITHDRAW CLASSES FOR STUDENTS.
  • WP/WF Period (Withdraw Pass or Withdraw Fail) - During this time, students may still withdraw from a course but will receive a grade of WF or WP depending on the grade average they have at the time of the withdrawal. This is determined by the professor. Students wishing to withdraw from a class during this time should meet with their professor to avoid any unpleasant surprises. It is also important to remember that a WF is the same as an F and WILL affect the student's GPA.

How many classes am I allowed to drop?

There is not a specific limit on how many classes a student can drop. However, students must be enrolled in 12 hours to be considered full-time. Most financial aid is also based on full-time status. Class drops/withdrawals that bring a student below 12 hours may jeopardize financial aid and tuition. Students should ALWAYS consult with financial aid before dropping below 12 hours. Dropping classes can delay graduation.

How do I ask for an override?

During registration, classes fill up quickly. Should a student need a course as a prerequisite or to fulfill a major requirement, etc., the student has the option to ask the professor for override authorization. If granted, the professor will ask for the student's ID number and will enter the authorization in Banner. The student will then be allowed to register for the class. Again, it is the student's responsibility to communicate with the professor teaching the course - not the advisor.

How many hours should I take to graduate on time?

Traditionally, in the DCP Program, students can complete requirements in two years. However, this depends upon what major is chosen and what courses the student has to transfer in. Every student must have 128 hours to graduate. Additionally, all major and core requirements must be met.

How do I know what math to take to satisfy the math requirement?

Many majors have a specific math requirement. Students are encouraged to consult their undergraduate catalog, degree evaluation, and their advisor before selecting a math course.

Can I attend summer school at another college or university?

Yes. However, students wishing to take classes outside of GWU must complete a transient credit form. This form can be obtained at the Registrar's Office or via the Registrar's webpage by clicking on the "Forms" link. The form must be signed by the student's advisor and the chair of the department in which the course is being taken. The form should then be returned to the registrar's office for final approval and processing. It is important for the student to understand that any course taken outside of GWU must be approved by the registrar's office or credit may not be granted. Students should also be aware that the last 32 hours must be taken at GWU. However, it is not always in the student’s best interest to take a course elsewhere since there is a minimum number of hours required at GWU in order to fulfill requirements – check with your advisor.

Do I have to take all my core classes before I can take any courses in my major?

No. Students are not required to complete the core requirements before taking courses in the major.

How do I check on transfer credits?

Students have the capability of checking their transcript online. Questions regarding how credits transferred in from other institutions can be addressed by the transcript evaluator located in the Registrar's Office.

How many elective hours do I need to graduate?

GWU offers an academic program consisting of a minimum of 128 semester hours of credit for the bachelor's degree. The degree consists of prerequisites, a major field of concentration, and a core curriculum and elective hours as needed. The amount of electives required is dependent upon the hours required by the chosen major and transfer coursework.

Where do I obtain my registration PIN?

The student's academic advisor has the registration PIN. Students should make an appointment to meet with their advisor for a one-on-one advising session or phone their advisor when a new registration period begins. The advisor will give the student a registration PIN at that time. Gardner-Webb University promotes the advising relationship as a key element to a student's academic success and it is important to note that STUDENTS WILL NOT BE GIVEN A REGISTRATION PIN WITHOUT TALKING TO THEIR ADVISOR.

Who can help me if my registration PIN does not work?

Registration PIN change every semester. Students will not be permitted to use the same PIN for Fall, Spring, or Summer. This measure is to ensure that the student and advisor have discussed and reviewed academic progress. In regards to problems with PIN not working, students should first verify the number with their advisor and then report any additional problems to computer services.

What if I have a hold on my record and cannot register?

Students who have "holds" on their record may be blocked from registering. The student is able to view the type of hold as well as the name of a contact representative on WebbConnect. Types of holds include but are not limited to: A/R - Student Accounts Office holds, Financial Planning, Library, Housing and Residence Education, Registrar, and telecommunication holds. Registration will not be possible until the hold is lifted by the appropriate department.

If I have a doctor's note, am I excused from class?

Absences are absences. Being excused does not mean the absence does not count. Professors are required by university policy to fail any student who has missed 25% of classes. It is the responsibility of the student to keep up with classes missed and to stay in communication with professors.

Am I allowed to repeat a class for a better grade?

Only courses with a grade of D, F, @F, or WF may be repeated. A student may repeat up to six courses in which a D, F, @F or WF were earned to improve grades for GPA purposes. Beginning with the seventh repeat, all repeat attempts will be counted in the GPA. Multiple repeats of the same course will count toward the six allowed. In the repeat of the first six courses, only the higher grade will be counted in computing the institutional overall grade point average, although the lower grade remains on the official transcript. Transfer credit may not be used to repeat a grade of D or F earned in a GWU course. University policy on repeating courses is not applicable in a situation where an "Fx" was assigned because of academic dishonesty. An "Fx" that is assigned as a penalty for academic dishonesty will remain a part of the academic transcript. Please refer to the undergraduate catalog for more information.

What if I cannot get in touch with my advisor?

Advisors should make sure their office hours are communicated to their advisees. Students having difficulty reaching their advisor may contact the Advising Center for additional assistance.